Religious timeline of the atlanta jewish community
- 1867: The only synagogue in Atlanta is the Hebrew Benevolent Congregation known as The Temple
- 1887: An influx of immigrants from Eastern Europe come to Atlanta. They are not welcomed by the current predominantly German/Yiddish Jewish population and therefore form their own synagogue: Ahavath Achim
- 1902: Ahavath Achim Rabbi B. Meyerowitz began to deliver his sermons in English.
- 1904: Orthodox Jews founded a synagogue and called it Shearith Israel. The synagogue was actually in an old church because they were too poor to construct a new building.
- 1906: A Conservative congregation is formed called Beth Israel out of demand for a synagogue less orthodox than Shearith Israel but more religious than The Temple, which was very reform.
- 1906: Two sephardic congregations form in Atlanta following the immigration of Jews from Rhodes (Greek Island) and Turkey.
- 1914: Both sephardic congregations finally merge and form the Oriental Hebrew Association.
- Intermarriage between the Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews was not common until after 1940.